Marketing in the News - Hennessy's New Cocktail Campaign

    The brand Hennessy is a very well known luxury liquor company that is pretty famous and well known. Hennessy is a cognac liquor that is often times referred to as whiskey. In the past, Hennessy has been a very popular option for drinkers around both inside and outside the United States. More recently though, Hennessy has began to fall off many consumers' radar and not has been getting the attention like it has previously. I caught interest in this article because I have recently turned 21 and so with my new ability to buy and drink alcohol legally I have been trying new drinks and experimenting with my interests. Personally, I myself have never had Hennessy but one of my close friends are quite fond of it and so this article grabbed my attention. 

    In the article, they were mostly discussing the fact that their brand name has taken a hit in the recent years and of-course like any good brand trying to conserve their longevity, they are brainstorming new ways to revamp the Hennessy name. The solution that they came up with was repositioning themselves by not just being known as the pricy cognac sellers but also a brand that can be used as a mixer in cocktails and a variety of other drinks as well. That way they are not only appealing to the cognac fans but also a wide range of other people as well. The three main points or takeaways that I have pulled from looking into this article are firstly integrating a brand new campaign scheme with new "identities". Hennessy has featured some new names like Teyana Taylor and Damson Idris to be the faces of the new cocktail versatility idea. The next point is the strategic timing and integration of these ideas. I feel like from the information I have seen they noticed that they had a problem with their market demand and they came up with a reasonable solution. The strategic piece of it that I am talking about is not just the idea and them implementing that but to use popular events and spaces to announce it also. The final point I noticed was the content they put out and the amount of different things they released to capture the attention of different audiences. Their content consisted of five videos and also a series of photography that reintroduced the use of modern Hennessy.

    Hennessy's value proposition is all centered around the timeless Hennessy name and the premium cognac that they make. The purpose of this campaign is to expand the scope of Hennessy to include versatility and accessibility to those who normally would only drink Hennessy on special occasions to open up the option to drink this brand on other occasions.

    The marketing relevance and the unique approach explored in the article is the shift that Hennessy faces amongst the challenges in the US market. With their sales underperforming they felt like they had to open up their options to having their cognac be used as a mixer for those who enjoy cocktails. Along with this, the use of well known actors in a music driven campaign further helps to reinvent the brands public image. 

    The most obvious challenge that the brand Hennessy was facing was getting the public to stop seeing Hennessy cognac as just a stand alone liquor but instead have people be open to mixing it with other thing to increase the use of the product. By making this shift, this increases the competition aspect but also opens them up to a huge new market demand of customers.

    After taking a deeper dive into Hennessy's tactics and goals, in my opinion I think they had a very good marketing approach. It could be seen as a risky move but I believe it is going to be a calculated risk that will end up working out to their benefit in the future. Through this I think they are trying to attract a new generation of drinkers that will incorporate cognac into their cocktails. If it were me calling the shots, I would have to agree that I think they were spot on with their decisions. I probably would have done the same thing or something very similar.

    From reading this article I learned a lot about how you need to shift and make changes according to the market demand and the people you are trying to appeal to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me!

Social Listening - Recent Celsius Energy Drink News